If you’re planning to buy or sell a home this year, you’re probably saving money for several expenses. Homebuyers may be saving for a down payment and closing costs. Home sellers may be working on your house before you list it. Any money you get back from your tax return can help you achieve your goals. Using a tax refund is a common tactic for buyers and sellers. SmartAsset estimates people from Illinois will receive a $2,901 refund this year.
Home Buyers Can Use Their Tax Refund
According to American Financing, there are multiple ways your refund check can help you as a homebuyer.
• Assist with your down payment – If you haven’t started saving for a down payment on a home, your tax refund can help you.
• Pay for a home inspection – Your home inspection can save you a lot of headaches down the road by helping you determine the condition of the property, and it’s definitely worth the investment.
• Pay for closing costs – Closing costs are an additional expense you will need to pay once you purchase your new home. Closing costs average between 2-5% of the purchase price of your home.
This is a great start, but it isn’t all the costs you may encounter when you buy a new home. Working with a real estate agent will help prepare you for what’s to come in the process.
Home Sellers Can Use Their Refund
If you are planning to sell your home this spring, your tax refund can help you with upgrades to your home before you list it. Homeowners can put their tax refund to good use, by:
• Making upgrades to your home – your tax refund can be used for small projects or boosting your curb appeal to help your home stand out.
• Making home repairs – If there’s anything in your home that needs to be fixed, use your refund for repairs.
• Buying your next home – You can use your tax refund to help pay for any costs on the purchase of your next home.
Contact a Real Estate Agent
Make sure to talk with your real estate agent before any projects for your home. Your agent will make sure you can focus on areas that’ll help you receive the best possible price when you sell. Your tax refund check can help you reach your home buying or selling goals. Contact a real estate agent from Wenzel Select Properties today at (630) 430-4790.
Wenzel Select Properties is located at 4941 Main Street in Downers Grove, Illinois. We are just minutes away from Interstates 88, 355, 55, 290, and 294. Wenzel Select Properties real estate agents are available to meet with you 7 days a week – Monday through Sunday.